Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cisco's Fast Ethernet Support

Well Cisco has huge database of its lively documentation. I guess they seriously require some solution for handling it. I have personally see many contradictory information on there site. They do update on one site but forget to synchronize on other locations. Few months back i have face a situation where a customer need 4 Ethernet port on 2801, to my surprise cisco router 1841 and 28XX do not support 2 port FE card and eventually i end up with giving two 1 port FE cards. Similar requirement arise and i again check website to make sure to cover any change happening. I found following link which says



Q. Is the 2-port HWIC supported on the Cisco 1800 and 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers?
A. No, the 2-port HWIC is supported only on the Cisco 3800 Series Integrated Services Routers. The Cisco 1841 can support only a single additional Fast Ethernet interface. The Cisco 2800 Series can support up to two additional interfaces, but this density must be attained using two 1-port HWICs

After making sure i presented my solution and inform the customer about cisco inabilty to support 2 port FE card. I were told that cisco do support 2 port FE card on 2801. As i had already double check so i were sure. I were surprise when i got the link


Now what to do after searching a bit, i found that the cisco latest IOS start supporting it and eliminate the previous limitation. I were again surprised but can't to any thing about it. Cisco keep it up (:
. You Rocks !!!

No comments: